What’s in NSL
Cassette tapes consist mostly of live recordings made at concerts, music festivals, song swaps and People’s Music Network gatherings.
Record albums (on LPs, cassettes and CDs) include both individual artists and anthologies, many on hard-to-find small labels.
The library also has songbooks, song indexes, and folk song magazines.
Some of the special collections:
- Labor songs, both contemporary and historical
- Recordings by gay and lesbian artists (partially funded by FLOWER, For the Love Of Women Economic Resources)
- Tapes of workshops and song swaps from every People’s Music Network gathering from 1977 to 1989.
- Civil Rights movement songs, and songs of other freedom movements around the world. Collections of songs about parenting, growing older, family violence, addictions and spiritual growth.
- 60’s-era recordings of the Weavers, Malvina Reynolds, Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez and many others.